Setting Up Your CSV
Guide to Importing Data from CSV
The key to successfully importing data into the CRM is to set up your input file correctly. The below guidelines will help make this process easy.
If you’re using an Excel spreadsheet, the first step will be to convert this into a CSV format. This can be achieved by:
File -> Save As -> Format/Type = CSV (comma delimited).
The first row of the file must be a header row that defines the columns in the data sheet. This will be the column that lets the CRM match your data to the fields in our system. Our import system will automatically map header row values that it recognises – e.g. First Name, Last Name, Company Name, Part Number, Mobile, Email, Phone etc.
Please ensure that:
- All columns have a header (no blank cells in the header row).
- There are NO duplicate header names (e.g. use ‘Physical Address’ and ‘Postal Address’ rather than two columns with the header ‘Address’). Be sure to also split any address fields into their respective components rather than one singular address.
- Avoid using special characters (in particular commas and apostrophes).
- Ensure any contact name fields are separated into ‘First Name’ and ‘Last Name’ rather than simply ‘Name’.
- Ensure that fields adhere to their field type:
- Yes/No (Boolean) fields: should be coded with only 1 or 0 values where 1 = YES and 0 = NO or 1 = TRUE and 0 = FALSE or 1 = ACTIVE and 0 = INACTIVE.
- Date fields: should be converted into a format that is NOT country specific (g. 31-March-2020).
Please ensure you only upload data within the correct screen. For example, if you have company and contact data in one CSV file please split the data and import it in the respective modules of the CRM. The modules which allow for CSV data import are:
If you need guidance on upload format, we offer CSV templates that you can use to organise your data. These can be found by clicking the small Excel icon in the top right and then selecting Download Template.